Minimally invasive | Little to no pain | Effective
Sclerotherapy is a minimally invasive, safe medical procedure used to treat Varicose and Spider Veins, most commonly found on the legs. The procedure involves Injection of a solution directly into the vein. The solution irritates the lining of the vessel, causing it to swell and stick together. Over time, the vessel turns into scar tissue that fades from view. The procedure is simple, relatively inexpensive, and can be performed in an outpatient setting.
- Your surgeon will conduct an overall health consultation and physical examination of your legs.
- All treatment options and alternative treatments will be discussed with you before any treatment commences.
- Your leg(s) will be examined and mapped with ultrasound to determine the location and state of the Saphenous Veins and their side tributaries.
- Local anaesthetic is administered to the treatment site.
- A very fine needle is guided into the vein via ultrasound.
- A sclerosant solution is injected into the vein.
- The vein then collapses.
- Simple dressings are applied. We strongly recommend the use of compression stockings, in order to give the best outcome.
- You may resume normal activities, barring strenuous workouts.
- In order to promote vascular health and to preserve the positive effects of the Sclerotherapy, it is recommended that you maintain a healthy weight and make exercise part of your daily routine.
- In general, Spider Veins respond in three to six weeks, and larger veins respond in three to four months. If the veins respond to the treatment they will not reappear.